What kind of cases do you handle?

We handle employment cases on behalf of employees and others whose rights have been violated. We have handled cases against large and small employers, against private companies as well as public employers, and on behalf of individuals and groups of employees in many different lines of work. We have also represented individuals in non-employment related civil rights matters, such as discrimination in public accommodations and equal rights violations.

Can I send you my paperwork before speaking with you?

We prefer that you do not send, fax, or e-mail any paperwork until after an attorney from our office has spoken to you over the phone and has requested that you do so.

What can I do to help with the evaluation process? 

During our initial phone consultation, we may tell you that we would be interested in further evaluating the possibility of representing you. At that point we typically ask you to obtain a copy of your personnel file from the company (see here for more information on how to obtain your file), and to provide us with your employee manual, any other relevant policies, and copies of any documentation (correspondence, e-mails, notes, etc.) you may have which relates to your situation. It is often helpful for a potential client to provide us with a brief, written overview of what has happened to them in time-line form. We suggest that you make and submit photocopies of all the records you provide to our office.

Is the information I provide to your office kept confidential, whether or not I become a client?

The attorney-client privilege applies to both clients and to individuals seeking legal representation. 

Is there a charge for my initial consultation? 

Generally, we do not charge for your initial phone consultation, and if we are evaluating a case for possible litigation, we do not typically charge for our initial face-to-face meeting. From time to time we will meet with individuals for consultations on a pre-arranged, hourly basis, at an hourly rate. (Usually these hourly consultations relate to situations where litigation is not necessarily contemplated). 

I was terminated by my employer for no good reason. Can I sue for wrongful discharge?

If you are a non-union employee in Michigan, with no written employment contract, your employment is most likely “at-will.” This means that your employer does not have to have a good reason, or any reason, to terminate you. This also means that even if you have been treated unfairly by your employer, you may not necessarily have been treated illegally. In order to have a lawsuit for wrongful termination, the employer’s action in terminating you must violate state or federal law. Illegal reasons for terminating employees fall into a limited number of categories, which are explained in other pages on this website.  When you call us for an initial phone consultation, you should be ready to discuss what you believe the employer’s motives were in terminating you so that we can assess whether or not legal action might be warranted.

I was harassed on the job. Can I bring a lawsuit?

Whether on-the-job harassment is illegal depends on the underlying motive(s) for the harassment. Illegal reasons for harassing an employee fall into alimited number of categories, such as harassment based on sex or race. When you call us for an initial phone consultation, you should be ready to discuss why you believe you are being targeted with harassing behavior (in addition to how you have been harassed), so that we can assess whether or not legal action might be warranted.

Quote if available
She often told me not to worry about anything because that’s what I had her for and she was right...She is a tiger when it comes to fighting for justice.”
— J. Brown, School District Administrator. Brown V Pontiac Board of Education, Oakland County Circuit Court